Seventeenth Annual Karuna Diwali Ball
Karuna Charities’ 17th Annual Diwali Gala was held on Sunday, November 15, 2015.
Mrs. Nilima Mehra welcomed the Guest of Honor, Mr. Rishi Ram Ghimire (Deputy Chief of Staff/Minister, Embassy of Nepal) and the Keynote Speaker Mr. Sanjay Rai (Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Montgomery College) and asked them to join the Board Members and Karuna Ambassadors for the lighting of the Lamp. Board Members present: Mrs. Amrit Kalotra (President); Mrs. Kanti Singh (Vice-President); Mrs. Jasbir Sethi (Vice-President and Treasurer); Mrs. Promila Banik (Secretary); Mrs. Bina Dhir (Joint-Treasurer) and Mrs. Savita Malhotra (Joint-Secretary), Mrs. Sangita Kalotra and Mrs Sushma Oberoi, Karuna Anmbassadors.
Mrs. Amrit Kalotra, Mr. Ghimire and Dr. Sanjay Rai were called upon turn by turn to address the audience.
The Kalanjali School of Bollywood and Folk Dances gave a Bollywood and Dance Medley performance, beautifully choreographed by Mrs. Priti Vasavada.
The performers were: Ami Patel, Riva Patel, Isha Vashee, Maria Naveed, Vagmi Luhar and Riya Patel.
There was an Auction of a return Air India ticket. Mr. Jacob Abraham, Senior Representative, Air India (Washington D.C.) presented a letter to the winner of the auction.
The Four Grand Sponsors were: Dr. Prasad Nataraj (Allergy & Asthma Center); Air India; GTV and International Business and Technical Consultants, Inc.
The Winner of the Juniors category of the Talent Contest: Rohan Damani, Student of the Balaji Music Academy (Mrs. Vatsala Mehra). The other two contestants were Shaurya Bedi and Aswini Phokrel.
The Winner of the Women category: Mrs. Meenu Chadha. The other two contestants were Mrs. Kshama Garg and Mrs. Rama Sharma.
The Winner of the Men category: Mr. Parasuram Iyer. The other two contestants were Mr. Lalit Kumar and Mr. Sunil Sikka.
Board Members turn by turn pulled out raffle tickets. Prizes were as follows:
1) 2 Dinner Certificates from Holiday Inn
2) 2 Dinner Certificates from Bombay Tandoor
3) A Painting by Vandana Pamecha
4) A Salwaar Kameez and accessories from AAM (Mrs. Deepa Chatwal)
5) A Porsche Golf Bag (Porsche Tysons)
6) A Gift Hamper from a Dermatology Clinic (ENT & Facial Plastic Surgery)
7) A Salwaar Kameez from Ruby’s Collection (Mrs. Rubina Shabbir)
8) A Will (Raja Bhandari)
9) 2 Nights stay at Comfort Inn, Gaithersburg
10) A Gift Card from American Tandoor
11) Jewelry by Jewels of Oshkosh (Mrs. Stuti Gupta)
12) A Shawl from Fashinique Boutique on Wheels (Mrs. Neeta Anand)
Mrs. Bina Dhir and Mrs. Jasbir Sethi gave a Vote of Thanks.
Dinner was catered by Bombay Tandoor.
The music was provided by DJ Hemant.